Home : About : New Hire : Frequently Asked Questions
  1.  When will I receive my first check? 
    Your first check will usually be cut to you on the second payday after your EOD. Usually during your fourth week on the job.
  2. How can I apply for health benefits?
    You can go to www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/ to look over and compare the many healthcare plans offered by the federal government. Once you’ve made your selection, you will need to click this link. The link will take you to the GRB Platform where you can access your benefits and make selections in the Army Benefits Center-Civilian (ABC-C). You can go to the opm.gov site to look at the choices anytime, however, you must wait until you have your CAC card to go to the site and sign up for health benefits. You can also sign up for vision and dental benefits as well as apply for a Flexible Spending account by going to https://www.benefeds.com/. You do not need a CAC to access Benefeds.
  3. How long do I have to apply for health benefits?
    You can apply for all benefits (health insurance, life insurance, dental, vision, etc.) within the first 60 days of employment with benefits going into effect within a week. If you miss that 60-day window, you must wait until open season which begins every year in November and benefits will go into effect January 1 of the following year. You can also make adjustments to benefits at any time if there is a life-altering event i.e. marriage, adoption, having a new baby, or divorce.
  4. When will I be able to get a CAC card?
    In order to get a CAC card from the Personnel Office, you must have 2 forms of ID (i.e. Driver’s license, social security card, passport) and your SF-50. Your SF-50 normally becomes available on the Wednesday or Thursday after your EOD. You won’t be able to get your CAC until your SF 50 is available. The Personnel Office is located at 1520 Freedman Dr., Frederick, MD 21702. G1 will schedule the appointment for you and will inform your supervisor of the date and time.
  5. What are the amenities available to me on base? What’s around the base?
    Your CAC gives you access to many amenities on base. With it, you can go to the Odom Fitness Center and the indoor pool. Fort Detrick also has a commissary and PX available to active duty and retired military and their dependents. The PX is also now available to DA Civilians with limitations on alcohol purchases. There is also a chapel with multiple services for different denominations. Housing is also available to the general public on-base. Balfour Beatty Communities handles the public housing for Fort Detrick. The website is http://www.ftdetrickhomes.com/. They are located in Building 1401 Sultan Street. Balfour Beatty Communities' operating hours are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. They can be reached at (240) 379-6518. This number is also used to contact their service order/work order desk, during normal business hours. They have an answering service on this line after duty hours to handle emergencies.

    The installation is located within the boundaries of the City of Frederick, which offers modern housing, schools, recreation areas, excellent utilities, and access to major metropolitan areas.

    Fort Detrick is situated northwest of Baltimore, Maryland (46 miles), and north of Washington, D.C. (45 miles) in Frederick County, Maryland, which adjoins Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. The major highways that access the county are I-70, I-270, U.S. 15, U.S. 40, U.S. 40A, and U.S. 340.Frederick County is easily accessible by automobile, air, train, and motor coach.Reagan National, Dulles International, and Baltimore/Washington International airports are less than an hour from Frederick, which is also served by Frederick Municipal Airport.A free bus service is also available within Frederick City and a MARC commuter rail station in downtown Frederick.

    If you’re driving from Washington D.C., take I-270 North to Frederick, where it merges with U.S. Route 15 North. Take the Motter Avenue exit, and the Visitor’s Center is on the left across the street from 7-Eleven. The entrance gate is just passed the Visitor’s Center.

    If you’re driving from Baltimore, take I-70 West to Frederick, and follow the signs to Route 15 North, Exit 53A. Take the Motter Avenue exit, and the Visitor’s Center is on the left across the street from 7-Eleven. The entrance gate is just passed the Visitor’s Center.
  6. How do I submit my time and leave?
    ATAAPS is the system that we use to record time and leave. During your in-processing, you will have your ATAAPS account set up once you have your DOD ID number which is on the back of your CAC card. Your supervisor or sponsor will walk you through the process of putting in your time and filling out leave requests.
  7. When can I expect to receive my government issued computer and/or other devices?
    Your supervisor will submit the necessary paperwork to the G-6 team for your devices. Before anything can be issued to you, you must complete your Cyber Awareness Training at https://cs.signal.army.mil/. You will need your CAC card in order to complete this training.
  8. When will I receive my work e-mail address?
    ​Your work email should populate into the Global Address Book within 10 to 14 business days after your EOD.
  • ALSO, be sure to check into mypay.dfas.mil/ and update your dependent information once you transfer over into our organization. Your check will reflect a filing status of Single with no dependents until you go into MyPay and make the necessary adjustments.

Frequently Asked Questions